Sunday, July 7, 2013

Sentimental Sunday - My Childhood Town

When I was about 3 years old, my family moved to Batesburg, South Carolina (located a little over an hour away from Columbia).  My dad was the pastor of First Baptist Church in Batesburg, and my mom taught math and science at Batesburg-Leesville Middle School.  I spent the majority of my elementary childhood there.  Looking back, I realize that I was able to experience life in a way that very few people my age were ever able to.  I never had to dial all 6 numbers to make a phone call, locking doors was completely optional, and riding bikes without helmets out of the neighborhood to the corner store to get a glass bottle of coke was completely acceptable.  I grew up around the corner from a family that had multiple acres of land with a small farm on it.  I called them Nana and Papa, climbed hay stacks with their grandchildren, played with puppies that were born there and picked peaches from their trees.  I ate from the 3 pecan trees and 2 plum trees in my backyard without needing to wash off pesticides.  I remember my mom making plum jelly and eating it year round.  I remember going to the store on Main Street with her to pick out my adoption doll.  I remember walking to school with my Dad when I was in Kindergarten.  I remember fishing with him in Mr. Cohn's pond.  I remember lying on my back in the backyard at night and seeing so many stars - WAY more than I could ever imagine seeing in my backyard now!  I loved the people there, especially from my neighborhood and church!  They were like family, and although I rarely have the chance to see them, I treasure every chance I have.

Today, however, my elementary school is no longer used as a school, my childhood house burned down and another, more modern house, was built in its place, and some of my church family and neighbors have passed away.  I don't have many chances to go back, maybe (if i'm lucky), once a year, but I go back whenever I can.  I drive through my old neighborhood.  I drive by the schools.  I drive by the church.  I visit the cemetery.  All the while, I remember - remember a town that has given me memories that I will treasure forever, and I thank God for the time He gave me there.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! What great memories, Jenna. I love this. I'm glad those are your childhood reflections on Batesburg. Makes me feel good. Dad

    ReplyDelete